Monday, August 26, 2013

Long Story Short: Cookies

I decided to add some context, considering this won't make any sense without context. I also decided to answer some questions right off the bat since you probably have many.

Yes, this is a blog about math.

Yes, math is indeed an epic journey.

No, I'm not spontaneously creating a blog for the sake of math.

Yes, I am pretty excited about math blogs.

Also, my name is Erin, I'm a college student, and I'm a physics major. I'm in a differential equations class and I shall be writing to you about my journey throughout this math semester.

Context: My first differential equations class was at 8:00a this fine Monday morning. I walked in five minutes early, sat down in the front row, and awkwardly talked to my roommate. Then the teacher came in, talked for a bit, and handed us some packets. 

One of these packets is entitled "Achievements." 

"Achievements" consists of all the fun things we can do this semester to get these gold points (shortened gp). When added to the points we get through quizzes and tests and such (p) we get some experience points (xp). Whoever gets the most xp gets delicious treats from my teacher's wife. 

In other words, it's a game. It's a game involving math and heck yes I'm jumping right on that ship before it leaves town and I'm left to my own devices. 

There are small and easy ways to get xp (such as going to office hours and finding interesting differential equations pictures) but then there are the harder and more fun ways to get xp. One of these ways is to create a blog and talk about math. 

I'm going to do the small and easy ways, of course, even though visiting teachers outside of class is more intimidating than it is helpful. However, I thought that making a blog would be hilarious and exciting.

What more do I need in life than to summarize differential equations topics and do a couple of examples? I've got time on Thursdays to do these things. I can make some fancy examples with Microsoft Word (since I don't see an equation editor on this site) and perhaps draw a few pictures with Paint, just because. 

Who knows? Maybe you'll find my epic journey through math educational. Or maybe not.

Long story short: I'd like to get some cookies to share with the class because we're all winners for taking this differential equations class. 

Oh, P.S.! The more likes I get on this blog, the more xp I get. So like this blog! (I know you want to....)

No comments:

Post a Comment